Skip to main content

Fuji X-T20 - ‘The Little Guy’


I have been reading a lot about photographers using mirrorless cameras as a supplement to their DSLR’s. The idea is that mirrorless cameras are much lighter than DSLR and it is true because there is less hardware in the camera.  We have been hiking a lot this year and lugging all my Nikon gear is killing me. This little guy weighs significantly less than my Nikon D500 for sure. I have tried out the Olympus Pen a few years back.  It wasn’t bad, just felt fragile and I guess I wasn't quite ready to make the move. That was a few years ago and technology has improved. I am really liking the digital viewfinder.
Day One

This has been a fun little camera. One of the reviews I read said that this little guy makes shooting fun again.  I have to agree, it has buttons and dials and reminds me of my long time friend; my Olympus OM 2 film camera. There is an Aperture ring on the lense, so cool!
Having a lighter camera in the backpack makes hiking that much easier. For the more photo oriented trips I find that I am bringing all my gear and my bag is full.

My cameras in Colorado National Monument
I started out with the 18-55 mm lense, nice little lense but was limiting for me. I use the 18-300 mm Tamron on my Nikon almost exclusively so having less range was not really working me.  I did purchase the 55-200 mm, but switching lenses and adding more gear to my bag kind of defeats the original purpose of getting the lighter camera in the first place. Now I have the 18-135 mm, it is a bit larger and heavier that the other two lenses but it is just right, it is my Goldilocks lense. I Love it!  The Fuji X-T20 is a fun little guy!

Comments