Skip to main content

Road Trip to Orlando


It is over 2000 miles to Florida from Denver and we did it in February following a winter storm.  We wanted to get ahead of the weather and opted to add another day and more miles to the trip by swinging down to Albuquerque, New Mexico. That really didn't work out too well, we were in snow and ice rain storms most of the way. 

Camera: Olympus EM1 Mark III, Lumix LX100 (590mn IR)

On the way to Albuquerque we made a brief stop in Santa Fe to the Obscura Gallery to see Nevada Weir's Invisible Light gallery showing.  We did not get a chance to meet her, but got to see her work up close.  Up close and in person the prints looked almost like water color paintings. I have been following her on Instagram and just love her infrared work, she was my inspiration to get into IR.  It was a spur of the moment idea to go to the gallery and I am so glad we did. She has some really great shots in Angkor, Cambodia, I really wish I was into IR when we went to Angkor, it was so hard to shoot the structures in color.  I ended  up processing many of my shots in sepia.  I guess I will just have to go back to Cambodia and try again. 


We had originally planned to fly and decided that will all the recent flight cancellations happening across the country, and the fact that we did not build in any buffer time around our Disney World reservations, driving and adding a few more days in Florida just made for a better trip. We spent two days in St. Augustine and I am really glad we got to see just a bit more of Florida than just Disney World. 

St. Augustine was pretty cool.  There is a lot of great Spanish influenced architecture and colonial history as it is the oldest city in the United States. We visited all the sites; The Castillo San Marcos National Monument, the Lightner Museum, the Flagger College, Memorial Presbyterian Church and the historical Colonial District.  


Yuengling - Oldest Brewery in The US






Palm tress look so cool in IR





After our two days in St. Augustine we headed down the coast en route to Orland to visit the Lighthouse and Washington Oaks State Park. The park had lovey gardens, access to the woods where we took a short hike and access to the beach.  It was rainy and windy on our visit to the park. I got some amazing shots of the roses and the gardens despite the weather.  












Comments